Divine Muffins with Cream Cheese Centres
My six-year-old says these are, “the best things I have ever eaten in my whole life”. Now, to be fair, he’s got less than a decade of life experience to go on, and he’s also had food allergies his entire life so hasn’t had the same eating opportunities some of us may have had, but still. They really are freaking amazing muffins.
Divine Lemon Blueberry Muffins with Cream Cheese Centres
(makes 1 doz)
2 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
¾ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp baking powder
2 large eggs
zest of 1 small lemon
juice from 1 small lemon
¼ cup milk (I use 2%, but 3% would also be fine… just not skim)
1 cup salted butter
1 ½ cups frozen blueberries (you can also use fresh, but they won’t colour the batter the way frozen ones do)
For the filling:
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2tbsp brown sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line muffin tin with silicone or paper cups.
1. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
2. In another bowl, mix the eggs, milk, sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest. Once combined, add butter and mix until smooth.
3. Combine the wet and dry ingredients but don’t overstir.
4. Add blueberries.
5. Add approximately 1tbs of batter to each muffin cup.
6. Add approx 1tsp of cream cheese filling on top of the batter in each cup.
7. Add batter to each muffin cup until 3/4 full.
8. Sprinkle a little of the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture onto each muffin
9. Bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
I also made these Amazing Strawberry Muffins using the same basic recipe but subbing 1 cup of diced strawberries in for the blueberries.
Here’s the process (for both… these pics happen to feature the strawberry version):
Et voila! Two variations of the same muffin, both incredibly delicious. Enjoy!